Thursday 21 May 2015

Brakes, Spats and gear leg fairings

I had often thought that when I first flew the plane it probably wouldn't have wheel spats and fairings fitted. I figured I would get around to it during the flight test hours . I did however get really enthused one day last week and started on them. It did take me two full days but all in all I thought they went on relatively easy. I have taken them off again as I need to paint them. Mainly I was keen as I read a post or heard, I can't recall, that it takes around an extra 10hp to push a Sonex through the air at cruise speed without those two components which could also induce overheating issues. So at the mere mention of overheating I set forth with purpose to make and fit them. Plus the Sonex looks way cooler with them on.... Makes a statement I reckon ... It just shouts out FAST.  




I have made some attempts at the first round of putty for the seams and some more tidying up of the spats is prudent before I try to prep them for paint. That can wait until the cowling is all done as well, then I can paint everything at once.







I have also finished fitting the Brake lines yesterday. I need to do something with how they pass through the firewall however. As yet I'm not sure, but I will think of something. 





Oh and this pic is what I did with the rear spring attach for the trim system. Not elaborate but I think solid and effective. And really how strong does it need to be?  The spring is only held onto the elevator tube with a hose clamp so if anything is going to move it will be the spring slipping back on the tubing.

No comments:

Post a Comment