Thursday 23 July 2015

Cowling revisited again

So of course I managed to get the cowling fitting quite nicely after trimming the snout. I used some filler, sanded it back to a nice smooth finish and set to priming and prep for paint.




 The next little issue was to see if the hole I cut in the cowling for the exhaust actually lined up nice and snug. The hole in this pic needed to be opened up just slightly for a little more comfortable clearance but it was placed in the right spot so that did bring a big smile to my face.



A nice little red colour was applied as per the picture below. I managed to paint the wheel spats at the same time while I had some red in the gun. I actually had to paint one of the cowling sides twice as just after I had sprayed it, I stumbled on the air line and brushed up against the nice wet paint of the cowling. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. This fix involved rubbing it all back and applying more red. The second coat as well didn't come out anywhere near as nice as the first and this compounded the disappointment. I am just going to leave it for now with a nice orange peel look to it and worry later when I feel like repainting it.  Probably a few years down the track. 





I still need to final fit the wheel spats but I will do that after it is at the airport so I have something to tie the plane down to during transport. It is literally just a five minute job to take them on and off anyway. 



No comments:

Post a Comment