Tuesday 18 November 2014

Another week in review

Well saying a week in review is quite an exaggeration. I have worked on the plane for one day this fortnight. However,,,, today was a productive day.


Basically it is now on it's wheels and I can reach everything. I have started on fitting the hydraulic brakes, the flap torque tube and the fuel tank and so on. I fitted the rudder cable attach brackets today and hooked the springs up.  It was definitely nice to see it on it's wheels and I think I may start to make some real progress now. 

I was a little perplexed about the hydraulic brake fitment today. I was looking at the plans and was trying to work out where I had gone wrong.



The backing plate was essentially pointing towards the ground and when I was looking at the plans it looked as if it was supposed to be level according to the fuselage. I was also looking at the brake plans and noticed the wheel spat seemed to back this opinion up. So after staring at the thing for a LONG time trying to work out what was happening I looked on the Sonex builders site and found out everyone else had this same problem. I just couldn't get over, for a while, why Sonex would release this brake option and it not be according to plans. I kept thinking I had done something wrong. Upon looking at it, really, it makes no difference to the way it all works, but why not have it exactly as the plans state? Anyway rant over... Besides this:
Errr,, I ordered the clevis pins straight from the plans and this is how they turned out. About 6mm too long. I could normally deal with this so easily, just putting it down to aviation, however while I was in Perth I had to drive for over an hour each way to get to the Aircraft shop to buy these.  And that was after waiting two weeks for them to be ordered  in.  It was pretty disappointing to then find they were incorrect. I know I can order new ones, or space them out, or leave them as is, because the wheel bearing dust seal will stop them walking into the brake disk. It's just that I really wanted them to fit.
Rant now definitely over.

No comments:

Post a Comment